The Connecticut Halftime is a rudimentary piece for the snare drum. I used this piece as one of my audition pieces for Florida International University (2013) and Bowie State University (2014-Present). I started off in band (2004) playing the concert snare and have been focusing on that ever since. When I received this composition from my high school band director, it was very easy for me to sight read it and I easily learned the piece.
To this day I still read through the composition in order to practice sight reading and also just to have fun playing through the piece, I thoroughly enjoy playing it and would recommend it to any intermediate or advanced high school student. The piece could pose a challenge if you do not know your rudiments or if not all of your rudiments are up to the same constant speed in order to perform the piece correctly.
Through the use of repetition, the composer helps the performer create a constant rhythm and help the performer keep in mind their sticking. Sticking is important in order to keep the piece sounding even and repetitive.
No comments:
Post a Comment